Tuesday, October 7, 2008

General Conference

What an amazing weekend General Conference is.
All of the sudden everything said applies to my life and teaching special spirits. Saturday Afternoon Elder Wirthlin spoke. He talked about picking ourselves up because no one is hidden from grief and sadness. He told us of how his mom would always say, "Come what may and love it." An attitude we must adopt in our field. So many twist and turns our thrown our way. Just when we have our hands full, another student might be sent to our classroom. As soon as we have one behavior under control, boom, another one appears. He says that the only way we can do this is through his 4 steps. He said that we must learn to laugh, seek the eternal, understand the principle of compensation, and put our trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. What really touched me in his talk was his sweet story about his grandson who has autism. The love he felt for his grandson really hit me. He could not express how much of a joy this young boy had brought into their lives. He told of how they are getting him to participate in sports. He is playing baseball and eventually figured, why should I have to run for the ball? The ball is hit and flies past his young grandson. Instead of running for it he pulls a spare ball out of his back pocket. haha I say that is a genious boy :)
Elder Wirthlin also spok of the generosity and compassion a child with a disability can bring to the lives of all around them. I have always had a fear that I would have a child with a disability. It is one thing to work with them at school and then send them home to their parents, and another to care for them constantly. I figured that I love them so much, it is likely Heavenly Father will send me my own. I can't lie and say that that thought did not scare me, because it did. Then I took my CPSE 400 class and bawled through our first lesson. Eventually parents came in and told us about their special child and one lady mentioned how all of her other children have grown from her son. She said that her children have developed special hearts that are compassionate and softened to those who are different. It touched me so deeply that I have decided whether or not I have a child with a disability, my children will work closely with those who do. They will learn to see people for who they are rather than what they look like.
How I love this Church and having it by my side as I study to become a teacher of the sweetest, most special spirits on the earth.

No comments: