Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Proposition 8

As I have said before, my home is in California and one day I would love to return and teach there. But Prop 8 has recently consumed my thoughts. If it does not pass - my future is completely changed. Most don't realize that this is more than just acknowledging same sex marriages, it is accepting them as normal and they must receive the same liberties heterosexual marriages do. This means that curriculum in public schools must be changed. Everyone remember when you were a child taking sex ed. The most uncomfortable class we all had to sit through - if Prop 8 is not passed, homosexual relationships must be discussed as well. My children will not be learning about that as if it is something we need to accept. Neither will I teach or support that being taught at my school. A teacher in San Francisco recently took her class on field trip - to watch her be married to her female partner. Some how this was a "teachable moment."
Think that is scary? If Prop 8 isn't passed, the only way a church can continue being tax exempt is if they recognize same sex marriages like they do traditional marriages. I don't even want to think about how this will dramatically conflict with the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints...

Please take the time and visit protectmarriage.org

No comments: