Tuesday, November 18, 2008

jingle bells

I am a little overdue for a blog...but that doesn't mean that I don't think of something clever and creative that I want to write about everyday, because I do. It is amazing how everything I do can somehow be related back to all of my classes.

So, I worked in an all wheelchair class last year and I fell in love with the kids. I am not in that classroom anymore and two of the students have since been transferred to self contained classrooms. My mom was in town this weekend because my aunt just moved to a house in Draper and we were helping her decorate and give it the homey feel. Every home goods store is getting ready for Christmas so everywhere we went we were surrounded by Christmas music, Christmas trees, ornaments, Santa, the whole thing. Jingle bells came on and I was instantly back in my old classroom taking a student to the bathroom. Oh boy could she sing. I remember taking her to the bathroom and the entire time she is singing, "Dashing through the snow on a one horse open sleigh..." I would lift her out of the wheelchair and onto the changing table, "...Laughing all the way HA HA HA..." She sang this song long after the Christmas song. I once even commented that Christmas over, but our teacher so kindly reminded me that she could still go for a sleigh ride because there is still snow on the ground.

I love this season and I know that even our students can feel how special it is. I know there is still Thanksgiving before it is officially the Christmas season, but let's make this season a good one. There is so much bad going on in the world, so much that we are unsure about, it's about time we focus on some good.

No comments: