Monday, November 3, 2008

RULES

During my weekend at home I read the book Rules by Cynthia Lord.
It tells the story of a girl, Catherine, with a younger brother who has autism. As she goes to OT with her brother she develops a relationship in the waiting room with a boy named Jason. He uses a communication book the entire time and very effectively can communicate. The point of view that Lord uses is amazing. You really get caught up in the emotions and feelings of Catherine. She is frustrated with her brother and very often embarrassed by his tendencies, but it is easy to see how big her heart is because of her experiences. She always sticks up for her brother and when it comes to Jason she has to decide whether or not she can admit to their friendship.
My roommate also read the book and she said to me that she wishes every child would read this book and see what it is really like to be different and to live with someone with a disability.
Just thinking about this book pulls at my heart.
Jason's therapist always greets him loudly and often accuses him of being grouchy or upset. As Catherine's friendship with Jason develops he tells her that he might not be able to talk, but he can hear just fine. That really taught me a lesson. They don't want to be treated like they are dumb and more than often they don't want to be babied.

I strongly suggest this book and I hope it touches you like it touched me.

No comments: