Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Class is going to start here in a little bit and I have some down time so I figured I should describe my fabulous day at work today.
Work has been really hard the last week or so. The kids just can't seem to get into the routine and all of us in the classroom seem to have our hands full. I said a little prayer on my way to work and I know that it really helped today. I was able to work one on one with each of the students. This is really rare, especially since I am an aide and only there for four hours. I was just overwhelmed with the sweet spirits inside this bodies that don't allow them to share with me everything they know. I had sweet experiences with each of my students just today. I could see them smiling at me, telling me it was alright. Yesterday in our CPSE 410 class Michelle had said something about how one of her students had said she was mean. I would never want the students I work with to think that way of me and today I tried extra hard to smile and get quality time with them.

It paid off. I can't stop seeing each of their smiles when I close my eyes. The teacher I work with, Susan, also made a few comments on how well so and so was working with me today. I have finally found a way to communicate with them. Susan also said that the teacher I had worked with last year came and talked to her about how well I helped the class on Friday while Susan was at a training meeting. She said that she had been very impressed with my ability to work with the students. Now, I am not one to brag but this just brings me so much happiness. I have found recently that I am getting down on myself because classes are a lot tougher than I had thought they would be and I am struggling to stay on top of things. But when I am at work - I know what I am doing. I can test the students, I can teach them, I can communicate with them. That is how I know that I really am learning and I have the lucky opportunity of instantly applying my new knowledge.

No comments: