Sunday, September 21, 2008

I am Sam

It was Friday night and I found myself home early from a dinner and all alone. I turned on the TV and found I am Sam, a movie I had never seen before but obviously always thought would be interesting.
It was such a well done film and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. At one point Sam says, "Yeah, you don't know what is like when you try, and you try, and you try, and you try, and you don't ever get there! Because you were born perfect and I was born like this, and you're perfect!"
How many of our students want us to see that they are trying? These kids are doing all that they can do communicate, to get us to understand. I think this is something that as teachers we need to always remember. Our students won't be capable of the impossible but they are capable of many little miracles. We need to be patient and know that they are trying.

No comments: